In 1954, the Bishop of the Roman Catholic Diocese of Davenport, Iowa, asked Venerable Mary Angeline Teresa, O. Carm., founder of the Congregation of the Carmelite Sisters for the Aged and Infirm, Inc., to consider providing long-term elder care in a substantial family home in Davenport that had been donated to the Davenport Diocese.
The challenge was accepted and on March 18, 1955, Kahl Home for the Aged and Infirm, Inc., welcomed its first residents. At the time Kahl Home had a capacity for 21 female residents. But as the waiting list grew, so did the need for more space. In 1963, Kahl Home expanded its facility to house 128 male and female residents. Another renovation was completed in 1987 to increase the number of residents to 135.
In 2012, Kahl Home finished building a state-of-the-art senior living facility in northeast Davenport. The facility was designed to promote community living, devote more space to rehabilitative services and provide more opportunities for residents to maintain an active lifestyle.